Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Technology and New Rules

7 Stupid Mistakes Teachers Make with Technology

I completely understand the first mistake of not backing up data, so it is one of my favorites on this list. Before I got my most wonderful and perfect MAC I had a Dell that after 4 years would completely crash about every 6 months. So I quickly learned after loosing all of my research, papers, and assignments to back things up. I think this rule would be crucial for teachers seeing all the work they put into lessons and different projects.

I also consider it very important to watch the students when they are the computers at what sites they are going to. Students know how to get around the “protective” barriers on the computers and can get to almost any site. Students normally just want to go to Facebook, Twitter, or check their email but that needs to be for home not school. I have found that the best teachers provide several additional fun websites that pertain to the current material for students to visit when they are finished with their assignments. This keeps them off the websites they should not be on and still learning while secretly having fun!

7 Brilliant Things Teachers Do With Technology

Empowering students with technology is brilliant! In a world that relies so heavily on technology why not use it to push our students to be better? Instead of saying how harmful technology is teachers should be pushing students to use it and to broaden their skills. I hope that I will be a teacher that shows students the wonderful benefits of technology and teaches them to use the power of technology to improve themselves.

I think it is so important for students to learn from each other especially from students from other cultures. Today it is easy to contact classrooms around the world with blogs, wikis, and Skype. By using technology to connect with other cultures it makes it more alive to students instead of just reading about it. In our world today people always have to work with people of different cultures and I think it is great to start this process while still in school. This will not only benefit the education of the students but also break down many cultural barriers.

New Classroom Rules

3. Leave your seat only when necessary, which should be often to go collaborate with others or demonstrate something to the class

My favorite thing in school was getting to bounce my ideas off of other students and getting to hear theirs. Sometimes it took another students to explain something to me before I could understand it. So, I think it I important to give students the opportunity to collaborate and to give advice to each other. Of coarse this does not mean cheating, giving answer, or being disruptive but helping each other when needed.

15. Know what you are supposed to be learning, why, and what you will do with the knowledge

So many students know what they are studying but have no idea why or what they are supposed to do with the information. If teachers show the students how to use what they are learning in real life then many students will be more interested. Plus this form of learning is not the normal memorize and spit back out but true understanding and applying.

No comments:

Post a Comment