Sunday, October 18, 2009

The New Media Literacies

Video of New Media Literacies

Skills: judgement, negotiation, appropriation, play, transmedia navigation, simulation, collective, intelligence, performance, distributed cognition, visualization, multitasking


- What do you think of them?

o I think that students do need to have all of the skills so that they can make the best use out of technology. Like one person in the video said we are no longer just consumers of information but also producers.

- Are they really the 21st century skills that will be needed to be effective artists, citizens, workers?

o I think to make strong and appropriate presentations using information found on the web one would need these skills. The skills help the person find reliable information, sort the information, find media support like pictures, video, and sound. All of these are need for presentations today with companies and schools constantly wanting the next best thing. People today MUST know how to gather information from the web and effectively present it and that is where these skills come in handy.

- How many of these skills do you possess? Which ones?

o I am not sure how many of these skills I have. I think I have judgement when it come to reliable material. I also think I have the skill of negotiation, appropriation, play, performance, visualization, and multitasking.

- How will you acquire the others?

o I am not sure if I have transmedia navigation, simulation, collective intelligence, and distributed cognition. In order to gain these skills I would need to do some more research on what they are and what they entail. I would then practice the skills so that when it came time for me to really use them I would be prepared and use the skills effectively.

1 comment: