Sunday, August 23, 2009

Welcome!

My name is Rachel Kinard.  I was born in Louisville, Kentucky and raised around that area until I was 11 and my family moved to Spanish Fort, Alabama.  From a young age I had a great love for animals and always wanted to be a veterinarian.   That is why I went to Auburn University.   But after one semester I realized 8 years of really tough classes was not for me.  So I decided to get a degree in zoology so I could still work with animals.  This degree would allow me to work with the more exotic animals that I really loved.  While getting my degree I volunteered at the Montgomery Zoo and worked mostly with the large cats.  I graduated from Auburn with my degree December 2008.

            In my last spring semester I went on a trip Ukraine to teach English as a Second Language during my Spring Break. I loved the experience and I really loved the teaching.  So after that I really felt that I should be a teacher and began to pursue the possibilities.  My family is from Baldwin Country so I looked for a good school that was close by and found the University of South Alabama.  Since I already have a science degree I only need my teaching courses and I will have my Secondary Education Science degree.

            One of my passions is traveling.  I have been very fortunate that I have gotten to travel to many different places. I have been on some trips touring countries in Europe but I have also been on service trips. I spent two of my college summers in Great Britain and India teaching and doing mission work. I also spent last semester living in Ukraine doing more ESL work. I one day want to be able to teach overseas.

1 comment:

  1. Dear, Rachel

    Hey my name is Josh Burks, and our EDM 310 class was assigned to read, and comment on fellow EDM students blogs. I think that it is awesome how you have a drive to serve, and help animals. I also like to travel and hope one day I can see places like the Ukraine. Good luck on your 2nd degree, I am sure you will make a great teacher.

    ReplyDelete