Sunday, August 23, 2009

Did You Know 3.0 and Mr. Winkle Wakes Videos

Did You Know 3.0

The information and statistics in the 3.0 video really surprised me.  I knew the United Stated education program was lacking compared to China and India but I did not realize to what degree.   I also knew that a great amount of the technology we use every day was pretty new but I did not realize how far technology had come.  I did think it was neat to see how many people would get involved with the new technology so quickly.   I also never realized how many other things, like the English language, have also grown along with advances in science.

The last few statements about building computers as smart or smarter than humans was a bit concerning to me.  I enjoy all the benefits of technology but I don’t think I would ever want one smarter than me.  It is fascinating to watch science fiction movies on the topic of super smart computers and thinking that will happen long after I am gone.  But with technology advancing who says that couldn’t happen in the next years to come.  I only hope that I can keep up the technology!


Mr. Winkle Wakes

The first thing I thought about when watching this was what if someone really could come back from the past, like Benjamin Franklin, he would be shocked by all the technology we use everyday.  Most of the technology people just use and have no idea how it all works. Then like the 3.0 video showed people from the past did not have as much information as we have today. 

The video mentions the unchanging status of technology in schools .  For most schools they are stuck in the past with not enough funding to move forward.  Then some that do have the funding have teachers that are technologically scared and refuse to use things that would enhance their class. The video showed how important it is not to let our schools fall behind with technology and how teachers should be integrating it into their classrooms.

1 comment:

  1. An interesting question is how will we know if a computer is smarter than a human. That is known as the Turing dilemma, named for the first person to pose that question (because he was the first to make the prediction that at some point computers would surpass humans in intelligence.

    Maybe Benjamin Franklin is not the best person. I think his curiosity would keep his shock to a minimum.

    ReplyDelete